Saturday, October 22, 2011

22 | Standing Firm with the Gift of Faith


Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ.  He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
2 Corinthians 1:21 

Dear Lord,

My faith is a gift from you, and incredible blessing that has transformed my life.  Thank you for being faithful to me.  Thank you for the gift of your Holy Spirit, which enables me to be faithful in you.  Your guarantee of things to come brings me great joy and great peace.

This day, when dizzy swirls my head, my vision, I rest and relax in knowing I can stand firm in you.  You are my balance when life teeters.  You are my foundation with everything else slips.  Thank you for your constant presence, your continual love.

You show your love like this: anointing us with the forgiving waters of baptism, marking us clean to embark on a journey with you.  What loving touch, that sign of the cross that touches gentle, touches deep.  I feel your touch today, on my head, in my heart.  I am still, slow and present, against all odds.  Thank you for your tender touch that creates pause, that soothes what gnaws deep and haunting.  

You own us.  Not like we own stuff, expensive things of here and now that become obsolete trash tomorrow.  No.  You own your own forever.  Obsolete is not an issue.  You remake us, redeem us, reclaim us from the trash of today.  Lord, your permanent protection, your powerful parenthood gives me a peaceful place to rest.  I am grateful.

And then this gift of your Spirit.  This deposit, worth more than gold.  This guarantee of eternity with you.  I am not worthy.  But I am giddy with your gift.  Thank you for delighting in me, flawed yet faith-full, and for bringing me in close to your love.  

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, comments, and questions. Let's keep the conversation going...