Wednesday, October 1, 2014

1 | Be Still


Confession:  I have a hard time sitting still and doing nothing.  


When my Mr. and I curl up to watch TV, my fingers curl around a knitting needles or a sewing project.  When I'm waiting in line, I'm on my phone lining up emails to send and events to schedule.  And when I try to drag my attention away from all that "needs" to be accomplished, I feel downright fidgety.  Anxious.  Agitated.




How refreshing it is to get — to give myself — permission to rest. Physically.  Mentally.  Spiritually.   I know I need this stillness.  I know God is waiting, patiently, for me to draw near and soak up his heavenly goodness.  Do you feel his patient presence, too?

So let's put the "To Do" list on pause for a few moments as we start our 31 Days of Being Still.  Find a quiet corner.  A cozy chair.  Sit. Fold your hands.  Fold inward and into your faith.  



Draw near to God and he will draw near to you.  James 4:8a


Breathe, deep and full and from the belly.  Breathe in God's love. Hold it a moment.  Breathe out distractions.  Focus on God's love for you.  Let everything else fall away.  If it helps to have a mantra or an image, I love this one...



Repeat until you feel your shoulders drop, your burdens lift, your heart grow light.  Then snuggle into that peace of God.

Will you pray  Ann Voskamp's  beautiful "Prayer of Quiet" with me?
Lord, I do not rush on.   
I do not hurry on into the noise. 
I silence my whirring mind, my racing thoughts. 
I close my eyes.  
I sit. I pause. I rest. 
I stay here a moment in the quiet.  
I wait in silence for You only.
And when you are ready to face the day, stretch slowly into action. Remember that this stillness isn't stuck in that chair, it is God-breathed into your heart.  So when the day gets crazy and the doing gets dizzying, you can return to your deep breathing.  You can let go of the blur and the stress.  You can let God carry the burdens. Because God's got you — gently, tenderly, in the palm of his hand.

May you discover precious slices of stillness in your day.



Image credits: aprilandmaystudio.blogspot.com, lightstock.com, girlz4godrok.blogspot.com

If you are looking for a little more inspiration to BE STILL, check out these links...
The Daily Positive | Dale Partridge
The Prayer of Quiet | aHolyExperience.com
printable from raybodesign.wordpress.com

















8 comments:

  1. I love this, Liz! Embrace the stillness, for it is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, I almost wrote on this topic, can't wait to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tobi. What did you write about?

      Delete
    2. Beautiful Day One Liz!!! I found you through our 31 Days of Writing journey and I am going to come back each day, over the next 30 days, and read your post as part of my morning quiet time. Today's was so sweet and I love Ann's prayer - I will be writing it out or printing it to tuck into my Bible!!!! I am looking forward to going through November and starting December from a place of rest!!!

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much, Larissa! Isn't Ann's prayer just lovely. Enjoy your November stillness and your December rest!

      Delete
  3. i'd like to join your 31 day posts but usually subscribe by email or FB..I don't have any of the choices on offer...any suggestions? gemmill.mary@gmail.com
    I seriously need to learn to be STILL ;)
    Mary, new Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Mary. I'm no expert at this, but I believe (and hope!) that you can hover over the little people icon (followers tab) on the right hand column. (Note: I see this on some pages by hovering over the dark gray rectangles. On some pages the followers tab is not present. Hmmm...) Click on the Followers link and you should see an option to subscribe through Google. Hopefully that's a good option for you, as I see you have a gmail address. I'll keep searching for options!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, comments, and questions. Let's keep the conversation going...